Eating scorpions in Mexico, climbing volcanoes in Guatemala, surfing in Nicaragua, chasing sloths in Costa Rica, island hopping in Panama, dancing Rumba in Colombia, lifeguarding in Ecuador and more...

April 3, 2010

Quito y la Mitad del Mundo, Ecuador

View of historical Quito during breakfast.

The  airport security in Medellin was one of the most intense I have ever had, in addition to everyhting that they do in the United States they also had to open my checked bag and searched through it before I could chek in. I wanted to cry, my bag is huge and carefully packed, things are strategically placed and the last thing I wnated was to open my bag on top of that table. Well the security officer opened my bag, took things out, cheked inside purses and zippers and I had to laugh at his face when he attempted to put it all back in by pushing. I showed him that I had to roll all of my clothes again, and carefully place things in their designated spaces. It  was hell. Trust me, my least favorite part of my trip is packing my bag, I have somehow accumulated so many things that I don´t understand how it is still closing, and I would understand if they actually did an accurate check, but it is all for show, they did not check side pockets or the tent bag hanging from the bottom. This was the one flight since the beginning of my trip and even though planes can be more comfortable and faster I love buses and how easy it is to place your bag underneath get on and start your trip. 

Arriving in Quito I knew I had very little time to spend in the city and the next day would have to be jam packed if I wanted to be on the bus on my way to the beach and seeing the city. I had an amazing time in Central America which cut out some of my time in Colombia and Quito since I was planning on being in Manta to volunteer for Carnaval.  I made my plans, went to bed and the next morning took of on the city journey. My first stop was the Artisan Market where I met Pepe and from then on we became inseparable. Next stop was Mitad del Mundo Monument which marks the Equator and divided the world in the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

Pepe at Mitad Del Mundo



Standing on both Northern and Southern hemisphere at the same time

Mitad del Mundo





Pimpin´

Old town Quito

Look what I found!

After Mitad del Mundo I walkeda round the old town, visited churches and monuments and went back to The Secret Garden hostel where I had a delicious dinner, a few glasses of wine and played trivia waiting for time to pass before I had to catch my 10 hour night bus to Manta where I would meet the other lifeguards and volunteer for Project Ecuador.


No comments:

Post a Comment